Monday 2 May 2011

You may have heard about a Little Wedding last Friday...


How could I possibly not blog about the wedding. Very last minute (Thursday evening), I started to get swept up in the national hysteria and excitement in anticipation of watching Prince Wills marry his long term 'commoner' girlfriend Kate Middleton on Friday.

Somehow the historic significance, the romance and the social progress of The Royal Family all sunk in and I had no intention of missing it. I am of the age where I remember Diana, I remember her death and the backlash against the Royal Family very clearly. The images of those boys being made to walk behind their mother's coffin in front of millions of people lining the streets and billions watching it worldwide really seared itself into my emotional memory.

There were so many questions, so much shock and sympathy towards these two boys (I am the same age as William and I remember thinking I couldn't cope with what they are being asked to cope with). I applauded the way the mistakes were learnt, their privacy was protected and they were able to grow up somewhat shielded from the world's eyes.

When William met and fell in love with an essentially ordinary girl from University I couldn't help but think it was a huge success on the part of the people protecting his world. When they announced their engagement I was happy for them, who wouldn't be - they were two people very much in love and everyone likes to see that.

As the wedding fever increased here in London I felt somewhat out of touch, aware it was a piece of history but otherwise not particularly connected to it.

Then something happened, maybe I got worn down by the media, the streets lined with Union Jacks, the wedding parties being organised. Maybe I just seized the opportunity to celebrate something good, as a country we were, in general, happy that William had not only found happiness but he had found it his way.

For the last few years there hasn't been much cause to feel proud to be British and maybe the pageantry, the pomp, the tradition and the romance seduced me. Either way I watched the wedding in my pyjamas and hot pink fascinator (it was a wedding after all) and I felt just that, enormous pride to be part of a country with such a rich heritage. Mainly though I felt incredibly happy for a couple who despite so much pressure had successfully managed to make the day theirs, they were happy, they were in love and they were a team.

The dress was d-i-v-i-n-e, the designer choice a big fashionista delight, the trees, the music, the guests, the kiss x2, the 'just wed' car ride down the mall. I loved it, every second. They were so generous to share it with the world but I loved that throughout it all they seemed to be safely in their very own world together.





''I pray that everyone present and the many millions watching this ceremony and sharing in your joy today will do everything in their power to support and uphold you in your new life'' 
- Bishop of London Dr Richard Chartres 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...