Monday 9 May 2011

Frock Watch!

 A very belated post on the annual Costume Institute Gala aka The Met Ball. There were some fabulous outfits, the ball served as the opening for the Alexander McQueen exhibition, 'Savage Beauty'. 


'Glamour' was definitely in attendance...

Madonna in Stella McCartney

Yup, Madonna. She has not made my best dressed list for a w-h-i-l-e but this is a stunning dress, I love the colour and the elegant embroidery down the sides and the nod to a train. It's a stunner.

Diane Kruger in Jason Wu...with Jason Wu
Sexy, glamorous and chic, plus with the designer on her arm for bonus fashion points.

Kate Winslet in Stella McCartney
Ah Kate, when does she ever get it wrong? So effortless!
Lea Michele in Escada
I normally find red dresses quite dull, they are generally a contrived attempt to show off your 'wild side' on the red carpet. However there are exceptions and this is one of them for me, I'm not sure why but I like the structure and the styling. She looks confident and contemporary in it. Shame about lady casual behind her ruining her shot and the fantasy that it's all glamour glamour down at the Met...

Anna Dello Russo in Alexander McQueen
Ok so I'm not a huge fan of the egg/nest hat but I love the fun of the outfit, the tailoring is beautiful, the embellishment and it's chic dress up. Plus I always appreciate when a gal chooses a great alternative to a traditional red carpet dress...although having said that, somewhat controversially I am NOT a fan of short dresses on the red carpet, don't ask me why - I guess I'm just old fashioned like that.

Christina Ricci in Zac Posen
Talk of dress up drama! This is amazing, so contemporary yet so Gothic Victoriana. I do think her hair should have been more 'up' to compete with the drama of the dress. This is a pure indulgent dress up dress and where else can you do that if not the Costume Institute Gala?! I really love the exo-skeleton structuring.

Ok this is my favourite of all I saw....

Michelle Williams in Miu Miu
I just LOVE it. It's a beautiful matt black, contemporary and yet classic, signature Miu Miu and the embellished swallows are so beautiful. The belted waist, the gathered dropped sleeves. Contemporary elegance. I could wear this all day, every day. Divine.

In a last nod to Alexander McQueen's genius -

Florence Welch performed in Alexander McQueen
She looks like an ethereal fire nymph, it's incredible.

All photos c/o Style.com


"Clothes and jewellery should be startling, individual. When you see a woman in my clothes, you want to know more about them. To me, that is what distinguishes good designers from bad designers."

.- Alexander McQueen

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...