Monday 22 November 2010

Dogtooth


The Big One and I recently watched a brilliant Greek film called Dogtooth.

A fascinating and beautifully shot film about a couple who psychologically imprison their 3 grown up children in their house and grounds. They raise them to believe that airplanes are toys that drop out of the sky, cats are dangerous animals that kill, they even give them a new vocabulary.
Each child (they aren't named other then eldest, 2nd eldest and youngest) are told that once their dogtooth falls out they will be deemed ready to leave their parents and the compound.




I don't want to tell you about what happens as it will spoil the story but I hope you get to see it. It's beautiful, funny, shocking and horribly uncomfortable at times. I highly recommend it. It's haunted me since watching it, I love it when a film stays with you and keeps playing in your head, making you think and look at it differently every time it plays.


"Filmmaking is a chance to live many lifetimes."
-Robert Altman

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...