Thursday 18 November 2010

Calling My Inner Child


 I am currently playing a 12 year old girl from 1940's England (don't worry it's supposed to be theatrical, not annoying and precocious, but theatrical). Throughout the rehearsal process I have been trying to channel my inner child and so far I've mainly discovered the enormous gap between the energy required to run around like a genuine kid and the distinct lack of energy I as a 28 year old have.

By the end of each day I am s-h-a-t-t-e-r-e-d. 

In my head I can remember being 12 and feeling full of beans, ready and raring to go but in my body -  well it creaks after kneeling down for 10 minutes, I have to have a proper limb stretch before I'm any good to anyone!

Yesterday in rehearsals the four of us (my character is the second eldest of 4 siblings) had to play a small game of 'tag' in a scene, 3 run-throughs of that scene later we were all huffing and puffing. Sad really.

Where did the child in me go? 

Maybe she's doing what she always did and is still reading Enid Blyton books (St. Clares and Mallory Towers), writing stories, dressing up and playing shops with my sister's child. 

She never did like running around, hated all forms of PE and only wanted to play in worlds made up in her head.

Maybe we haven't drifted so far apart after all.



“There is always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in.”
- Deepak Chopra

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...