Sunday 22 August 2010

Green Fingers = Muddy Nails

When we moved into this new flat the garden was a WRECK!


It was so overgrown we could barely find it! Our previous home shared a garden with 2 other flats, one of our neighbours enjoyed gardening so much and he turned it into a stunning cottage garden.

It was gorgeous to be in but you did feel that you couldn't partake in the actual gardening as it was his baby, so when we moved in here, we I was delighted that I could have my very own garden to develop just the way I liked.

And boy did we have a job on our hands! After a LOT of weeding and pruning (thank you Phil, Penny and James!) we discovered that we had 4 badly done gravel pits, one ugly central tree and not a lot else so we decided to use as much of the gravel as we could rescue and make a seating area at the back, a path leading and dig the rest over to plant.


Plodding along with our plan we got a surprise call from HawkandFallow one Thursday - she was at a Pop-Up shop in Clerkenwell selling her delicious cards and the organisers had carpeted the shop with grass turf. At the end of the 3 days they needed to get rid of it so did we want some for our garden - YES INDEED!

I got there on the Sunday, wrapped as much as I could carry in bin bags, hailed a cab and took it home to lay and religiously water for 2 weeks, hoping that it would survive being on concrete and trampled on for 3 days.


After much TLC, a big garden centre shop for flowers and gravel we have a baby garden!

I've planted a few bulbs also which will hopefully grow up to reveal beautiful flowers next Spring. 

It's young and still a bit bare but it's full of promise.

"In my garden there is a large place for sentiment.  My garden of flowers is also my garden of thoughts and dreams.  The thoughts grow as freely as the flowers, and the dreams are as beautiful." 
~Abram L. Urban

1 comment:

sample sale siren said...

Very nice! I think it will turn out great. You've already done a fabulous job!
-tory

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...