Friday 3 June 2011

Night Walking

c/o wetbehindtheears
It is 11:40pm and I have just got in. Tonight we had our first dress rehearsal and also our first audience, of sorts. As the piece is a promenade style the director chose to open our dress rehearsals to friends and family of the cast. It was immensely helpful and very interesting.

On the way home. in my rush to get back to my digs, I inadvertently jumped on the wrong bus. Tired as I was it took me about 20 minutes to realise I had no idea where I was. In fact initially I thought that I had simply missed my stop, so got off. Only then did I realise that in the dark I recognised nothing. Thank goodness for iPhones as I could use the Gmap and see where I had ended up...turned out I was about a mile from where I needed to be.

I quickly worked out a route and set off in the right direction. Despite it being night, me being on my own and having no clue of the area, I really enjoyed it.  I am not a stupid girl and know to keep to residential areas, cross the road if someone is coming towards me etc. It was a beautifully mild evening and I was in comfy shoes and despite being alert, very happy.

When I was younger I used to walk at night a lot. I would sneak out of the house and walk around my area in the early hours. I have always been a night owl and loved the quiet, the calm and the peace of being on my own, walking in the streetlit dark.

On a few occasions, when I was staying at friend's houses I would sneak out there too and would walk around their villages. I'm sure this would strike fear into my friend's mothers if they had known but I genuinely longed for the peaceful solitude at the end of the day.

I had forgotten my walks until this evening when I felt a familiar drop of my shoulders. I was able to process the noise and clatter of the day and I was entirely on my own, blanketed by the dark.

Tonight, as I turned into the final road and was minutes walk from my digs I thought how much I had missed my night walks and how, although I am a very different person now, I still respond so strongly to that time, on my own, working through the day I just had.

I might just have to get the wrong bus again...

"I often think that the night is more alive and more richly colored than the day."  
~Vincent Van Gogh

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...