Friday 4 June 2010

Never Again!

So last weekend me and The Big One moved flat.

That sentence looks so neat and simple but the actual process could not have been more long winded, stressful or awkward!

We hired a van through a friend which turned out to be considerably smaller then we had expected, this combined with the limited amount of time we had to pack and unpack it (before it had to go home) meant that 3 trips later, almost all the furniture had gone but not much else!
Cue frantic phone calls to friends with cars and 2 trips later we thought we had almost everything.....
The next day we went back to the old flat to thoroughly clean it, defrost the freezer and hoover, we still had what turned out to be another 4 car loads of stuff!


How is it that I was convinced that we had very little?  I actually borrowed 7 boxes off a friend thinking that would be more then enough. It really wasn't! We had to spend £40 on boxes - cardboard boxes! And here I am going cold turkey on shopping to spend £40 on cardboard! Before you point out that my shopping may have contributed to the multiple box situation I will leap in and tell you that my shoes took up 1 box, a large box I admit, but that was it! My clothes stayed on their hangers on their rails.

Anyway Friday we started and by Monday we had everything.....bar the phone as the line isn't moving over til next week.....

It is incredibly unfair of me to wait til this point in the post to mention that we had the best voluntary crew of movers. 8 complete superstars of friends came and gave up their time, muscles and petrol to help us and we couldn't have done it without them.


Thank you lovely friends -  a thank you BBQ is in the planning.....just as soon as we unpack!

"If I'd have known how much packing I'd have to do, I'd have run again."
- Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the United States)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...