Saturday 17 July 2010

Urban Poetry So Far

As previously blogged I have a design concept for our new flat - Urban Poetry and it's starting to come together.

So the idea is to mix vintage and urban styles creating 'urban poetry'.

I particularly love the black swallows I found in Urban Outfitters. The postcards in the frames are of people that The Big One and I find inspiring - mine so far are Debbie Harry, Frida Kahlo and Virginia Woolf is about to be replaced with Vivienne Leigh.

The week before last we found and bought a beatiful 1930's mirror - something I have always wanted.


Just below the mirror is a fireplace which has been boarded up, in a rather ugly/obvious way so I bought a wooden fireplace surround from Ebay which I am priming and painting eggshell white tomorrow.


I am now on the hunt for vintage tiles which I will lay on the floor inside the suround and put candles on making our own contemporary fireplace.

As the piece de resistance I am going to embroider a fire screen but in keeping with my design concept I had decided that I wanted to embroider an urban design rather then the traditional flowers/home is where the heart is sampler.

The search began, I wanted to find a traditional style design which I thought I could then find someone to adapt for me....

'It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.'
- Tony Visconti

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...